1 de abril de 2012

Quick Chat with Tales From The Stage author, Michael Toney

Tales from the stage hasn’t been released yet, but it’s already a success. Written by Michael Toney, the book will be released in July 2012 and is a non-fiction book that features interviews with rock/metal music professionals. Being a drummer himself, Michael is able to give us an “insider” point of view of great stories told by interesting characters. While we wait, it’s possible to find more information about the book in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/talesfromthestage


And we’ve had a quick chat with Michael Toney to know a little bit more about his interesting project.

PDRR: Please tell me a little bit about you and how did you get the idea about writing “Tales from the stage”?

Michael: I was lucky enough to retire in October. I played drums since 14, and have been in numerous metal bands over the years. I love hard rock music and the environment, so I came up with this idea. I had previously written a similar book in 2007 called "Tales from the Cage" which was the same idea, only featured MMA fighters. I would have a difficult time doing this if I wasn’t retired. It is very time consuming!


PDRR: Can you name a few of the people you have interviewed?

Michael: Bruce Kulick (Kiss), Tim "Ripper" Owens (Judas Priest), Chris Holmes from WASP, Ron Keel. I have interviewed 11 at this point. I will save some of the names for a later date, but it is really a good list of Metal Pros.

PDRR: I’ve heard you did questions such as: If you took a drug test today, what would it tell us? or How big is your house? Did you have some difficult in getting the answers? I mean: do you think those artists talked freely about all the topics?

Michael: The participants have been incredibly open with me. Most of them tell me a little bit about their house. All of them have been open about their drug use in the past, and even current drug use--but most of them are clean at this point. I have asked some of the guys how many women they think they have been with. Some answered, some didn’t. "Craziest Groupie Experience?" has made for some good answers!


PDRR: How much time did it take to write the book? Did you enjoy it?

Michael: I started doing the leg work for the book in early January. I then went to the NAMM show in late January, and that is where I made my initial contact with a lot of the guys. Since then it has been averaging about 60 hours a week. Remember, I am a one man operation, so it does take a lot of time. And from concept to complete product, it's only taking 6 months. That might be some kind of record! Given that the interviews are somewhat time sensitive, it's important that I release the book as soon as possible. Although there are ups and downs with everything, this is the best "job" that I have ever had!


PDRR: When it will be released and how can we get it?

Michael: It will be released in July on www.talesfromthestage.com The website is currently under construction, but our Facebook Fan Page is very up to date and will be where we let people know all of the details regarding the timeline on the book.


Um comentário:

  1. Awesome Interview love Michael ive seen how much work he has put in this book thru his updates all the best wishes !!

    ResponderExcluir